Sunday, April 8, 2012

An Inspirational Message to SRSPCs High School Graduating Batch of 2012

Last March 28, 2012, I was invited by my high school alma mater to share an inspirational message to the high school graduating batch of 2012. It was with great honor and privilege that I accepted the invitation and delivered the speech below which I hope provided even just a little inspiration to the young people who heard it.



To our Rector Rev. Fr. Ted Bulawit, Vice Rector Rev. Fr. Ulysses Reyes, our dear principal, Mrs. Ophelia Cabe, our hardworking faculty and staff, to our proud parents, and our graduates, a blessed afternoon to all of us.

Being with you here today brings up so many fond memories of my life here as a Rosarian, particularly this same occasion that I had nine years ago, my high school graduation. It was a day that I would never forget. Hindi lang dahil nakatapos ako na nakatanggap ng pinakamataas na karangalan kundi dahil sa araw na iyon din ay kinailangan kong dumalo na hindi pa magaling sa bulutong. You could just imagine how mixed up my emotions were during that day.

I would like to congratulate all of you who were able to make it through this day. The four years in high school is not an easy task but you all managed to finish it. I know your parents must be all very proud of you.

While this day marks an end to your high school journey, remember that this also signals the beginning of a new chapter in your life. New beginnings can be both exciting and unsettling. My wish for you is to face this new chapter with excitement, similar to just how excited you are during the first day of class every school year where you come in geared up with new school supplies, new uniforms, new shoes. Face this in a similar manner. Face it with excitement. No matter what your next plans could be after your graduation, remember to embrace the fresh start that it offers you. Come in armed with high hopes, high energy and big dreams. Look at this as a chance for further growth, to hone who you are, to shape the kind of life that you would like to have for yourself and for the people you love.

As you enter this new stage in your life, you will have to make important decisions – decisions that will have an impact on how your future will be. My advice for you, fellow Rosarians is to listen to your heart and pursue what it is telling you. Because in the end, this choice will make all the difference.

Let me cite my own life example. I came from a family that only earns enough to subsist. Going to college was a luxury that my parents would not be able to afford but made sure we could have. I was fortunate to be given scholarships that provided me the assurance to pursue my dream of getting a college diploma. And so when I was given the opportunity to go to college, I faced it with high hopes and high dreams. The thing though is that, I had to pursue a field of study that is not what’s closest to my heart. But I was determined not to waste the opportunity and so I still studied hard. Sadly though, despite my great determination and efforts to do well in the field of study that I was in, I still faced disappointments and failures. It was a big blow to my ego. It was hard for me to accept that an honor student in high school like me would be getting low and failing grades in college. Consequently, I had to lose the scholarship that I once earned and was my previous source of hope. It was depressing and disheartening.

It helped that I have a strong support system around me who motivated me to still keep going. They helped me realized that setbacks in life are inevitable spices of life. They even gave me a new perspective on how to face such failures. And so I bounced back stronger. I saw in that failure the opportunity to pursue the field of study closer to my heart. And indeed I pursued it. Since I was already studying the field that I wanted more, learning became lighter and easier for me. I was able to squeeze in time for part time work without neglecting my academics. I began getting good grades again and gotten another scholarship. The journey was not smooth. It was not without delays. But it made it more fruitful and rewarding. In the end, I still graduated with flying colors. Cum Laude po ako na nagtapos ng kolehiyo.

At this particular stage in your life, it is normal to have questions, to have fears, to have apprehensions for the uncertain future that lies ahead of you. But do not let these emotions get the best of you. During this time, it is best to seek the help of the people around you to lighten the fears and apprehensions that you may have – your teachers, your parents as well as your friends. Best of all, pray and ask for guidance from the Lord. He will quell your fears and give you clarity of mind. He is the best companion that you could have during these times.

To the parents, your children will now be heading to another journey where they will need your support even more. It is quite a tricky stage where you must allow your kids to have as much independence that they need while still making sure you guide them through the right path. Do not dictate how they should run their life. Give them enough autonomy. Allow them to make decisions for themselves. It is through this that they will learn and will become more responsible of themselves.

Again, congratulations dear graduates. As you move on to the next journey, do not forget to live the kind of life that our alma mater envisions us to live - a life that reflects our devotion to Christ and Mary our Mother.

No comments: